Ms. Gordon is a Shareholder in the Antitrust practice group and serves as the Firm’s Chief Administrative Officer. In the last few years alone, Ms. Gordon has served as one of the lead lawyers in antitrust class actions resulting in recoveries of hundreds of millions of dollars for the class members she has represented.
Ms. Gordon has played a lead role in litigation involving a wide range of industries, including the credit card industry, chemical products industries, the real estate industry, the computer industry, the public utility industry, the environmental services industry, the tobacco industry, the biotechnology industry and the healthcare industry, among others.
In addition, she represented a class of Pennsylvania inmates in a federal civil rights class action, resulting in the establishment of a statewide treatment program for Pennsylvania inmates suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of their service in the Vietnam war.
Ms. Gordon has argued issues of the first impression before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, in Ross v. American Express Company (concerning standing to invoke the interlocutory appeal provision of Section 16 of the Federal Arbitration Act, in a case alleging a horizontal price-fixing conspiracy) and before the New Jersey Supreme Court, in In re PSE&G Derivative Litigation (concerning the standard for excusal of demand in a duty of care case).
As a member of the Antitrust Law Section of the American Bar Association, Ms. Gordon has served as a panelist at the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Law Spring Meeting, where she addressed the key issues that arise in the prosecution and defense of an antitrust class action lawsuit.
Prominent Judgments and Settlements
- In re Domestic Drywall Antitrust Litigation (E.D. Pa.) ($190.7 million settlement)
- Ross v. American Express Company (S.D.N.Y.) ($49.5 million settlement)
- In re Currency Conversion Fee Antitrust Litigation (S.D.N.Y.) ($336 million settlement)
- In re Microcrystalline Cellulose Antitrust Litigation (E.D. Pa.) (case settled shortly before trial for $50 million)
- In re Methyl Methacrylate (MMA) Antitrust Litigation (E.D. Pa.) ($15.15 million settlement)
- In re Puerto Rico Cabotage Antitrust Litigation (D.P.R.) ($52.25 million settlement)
- In re Commercial Tissue Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Fla.) (settlement valued at $56.2 million)
- In re Louisville Explosions Litigation (prosecuted through a six-week trial and settled at the close of plaintiffs’ case for more than one hundred percent of actual damages)
In the News
- Berger Montague Elects Michael Dell’Angelo New Member of Firm’s Executive Committee, Elevates Shareholder Ruthanne Gordon to Chief Administrative Officer
- Long-Running Drywall Price-Fixing Lawsuit Settles for More Than $190 Million
- $125 Million Settlement Reached in Drywall Price-Fixing Lawsuit
- Class Certification Granted in Drywall Price-Fixing Case