Sarah R. Schalman-Bergen
Sarah R. Schalman-Bergen is a Shareholder at the Firm. She Co-Chairs the Firm’s Employment Law Department and is a member of the Firm’s Antitrust, Insurance Products & Financial Services, and Lending Practices & Borrowers’ Rights Departments. She is also a member of the Firm’s Hiring Committee, Associate Development Committee and Pro Bono Committee.
Ms. Schalman-Bergen represents employees who are not being paid properly in class and collective action wage and hour employment cases as well as in class action discrimination cases across the country. Specifically, Ms. Schalman-Bergen has served as lead counsel in dozens of wage theft lawsuits, representing employees in a variety of industries, including at meat and poultry plants, at fast food restaurants, in the oil and gas industry, in white collar jobs and in the government.
Ms. Schalman-Bergen also serves as counsel to employees, consumers and businesses in antitrust cases, including representing the employees of several high tech companies who alleged that the companies entered into “do not poach” agreements that illegally suppressed employees’ wages. Ms. Schalman-Bergen has represented homeowners whose mortgage loan servicers have force-placed extraordinarily high-priced insurance on them. She currently represents several cities in lawsuits against major banks for allegedly discriminatory practices in violation of the Fair Housing Act.
Ms. Schalman-Bergen maintains an active pro bono practice. She serves as volunteer of counsel to the AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania. Through her role there, Ms. Schalman-Bergen litigates HIV discrimination and confidentiality cases, as well as other cases impacting the rights of people living with HIV/AIDS.
Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Schalman-Bergen practiced in the litigation department at a large Philadelphia firm where she represented clients in a variety of industries in complex commercial litigation. During law school, Ms. Schalman-Bergen served as an executive editor for the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review.
- Panelist at Class Action: Money & Ethics Conference, 2019
- Panelist at “The Platform Economy and the Future of the City” Convene, 2019
- Panelist at Community Legal Services CLE: “Justice in the Workplace: Key Issues of Fairness of Low Wage Workers,” 2018
- Panelist at ACI National Forum on Wage & Hour Claims and Class Actions, 2013 – 2017
- Speaker at Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association Annual Conference, 2016
- Speaker at American Bar Association HIV Law & Practice Conference, 2016
- Panelist at ACI Annual Forum on Employment Discrimination Litigation, 2014, 2016
- Speaker at Penn State Law School and Temple Law School on HIV/AIDS Discrimination and Policy, 2012
In the News
- Sarah Schalman-Bergen to Speak at “The Platform Economy and the Future of the City” Convene in Philadelphia
- Aetna to Provide Emergency Relief to Members Affected by HIV/AIDS Privacy Breach
- City of Philadelphia Files Lawsuit Against Wells Fargo
- Court Preliminarily Approved Settlement In The Brickman Group Overtime Wage & Hour Litigation
- $586,000 Settlement Reached in Pennsylvania Home Health Aide Class Action Lawsuit
- Technology Solutions, Inc. To Pay Cable Installation Technician Forty Thousand Dollars For Improperly Withheld Wages And Payroll Deductions
- 2015 Elite Trial Lawyers Winner - Employment Law
- Berger Montague - 2015 Elite Trial Lawyers Finalist