Barbara A. Podell
Barbara A. Podell is a Shareholder in the Securities practice group at the Firm. She concentrates her practice on securities class action litigation.
Ms. Podell graduated from the University of Pennsylvania (cum laude) and the Temple University School of Law (magna cum laude), where she was Editor-in-Chief of the Temple Law Quarterly.
Ms. Podell was one of the Firm’s senior attorneys representing the Pennsylvania State Employees’ Retirement System (“SERS”) as the lead plaintiff in the In re CIGNA Corp. Sec. Litig., No. 02-CV-8088 (E.D. Pa.), a federal securities fraud class action in which SERS moved for, and was appointed, lead plaintiff. CIGNA allegedly concealed crucial operational problems, which, once revealed, caused the company’s stock price to fall precipitously. The Firm obtained a $93 million settlement. This was a remarkable recovery because there were no accounting restatements, government investigations, typical indicators of financial fraud, or insider trading. Moreover, the case was settled on the eve of trial (22.7% of losses recovered).
Before joining the Firm, Ms. Podell was a founding member of Savett Frutkin Podell & Ryan, P.C., and before that, a shareholder at Kohn, Savett, Klein & Graf and an associate at Dechert LLP, all in Philadelphia.
Business and Community Leadership
- Docent, The Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia.
- Volunteer Guide, Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia.
- Chair, Executive Committee of the Philadelphia Museum of Art Weekend Guides, 2016-2018; Member of Executive Committee, 2012-present.
- Chair of the 2007 annual fundraising gala for the Lower Merion Conservancy; Co-chair for the 2010 gala.
- Member of The Women’s Committee of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
The Honorable Michael M. Baylson of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania stated:
“The Court is aware of and attests to the skills and efficiency of class counsel: they have been diligent in every respect, and their briefs and arguments before the Court were of the highest quality. The firm of Berger Montague took the lead in the Court proceedings; its attorneys were well prepared, articulate and persuasive.” In re CIGNA Corp. Securities Litigation, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 51089, at *17-18 (E.D. Pa. July 13, 2007) ($93 million settlement).
Prominent Judgments and Settlements
- In re Cigna Corp. Sec. Litig. ($93 million settlement)
- Dodona I LLC v. Goldman, Sachs & Co., ($27.5 million settlement)
- Aetna ($81.5 million settlement) (Savett Frutkin)
- In re Toll Bros. Sec. Litig. ($25 million settlement)
- In re Cryolife Sec. Litig. ($23.5 million settlment)
- In re Fifth Third Securities Litigation ($16 million settlement)
- In re Viropharma Sec. Litig. ($9 million settlement)
- In re Hemispherx Biopharma Sec. Litig. ($3.6 million settlement)
In the News
- Investor Fraud Alert – Berger Montague Investigates Alleged Investment Sham by Gina Champion-Cain; ANI Development, LLC; and American National Investments, Inc.
- Investor Fraud Alert – Berger Montague Investigates Ponzi Scheme by Investment Advisor Brenda A. Smith and Broad Reach Capital, LP; Broad Reach Partners, LLC; and Bristol Advisors, LLC
- GPB CAPITAL LAWSUIT – Investor Fraud Alert – Berger Montague Announces Securities Fraud Investigation Into GPB Capital Holdings
- Berger Montague Investigates Potential Securities Class Action Claims Against Eagle Bancorp (NASDAQ: EGBN)
- DLNG Stock: Berger Montague Investigates Class Action Claims Against Dynagas LNP Partners LP (NYSE: DLNG); Lead Plaintiff Deadline is July 16, 2019
- Berger Montague Investigates Class Action Claims Against Jumia Technologies AG (NYSE: JMIA); Lead Plaintiff Deadline is July 15, 2019
- Berger Montague Investigates Class Action Claims Against Nio, Inc. (NYSE: NIO); Lead Plaintiff Deadline is May 13, 2019
- Berger Montague Investigating Class Action Claims Against Tesla, Inc. and Elon Musk