Eric L. Cramer
Mr. Cramer is a managing shareholder of Berger Montague in Philadelphia, where he sits on the management and executive committees. He is a co-chair of the firm’s antitrust department. Chambers & Partners has repeatedly selected him as a Band 1/top tier antitrust litigator, observing that he is “really a tremendous advocate in the courtroom, with a very good mind and presence;” in 2017, Chambers deemed him “a very fine antitrust litigator.” The Legal 500 ranks Mr. Cramer as one of the country’s top lawyers (“Tier 1”) in the civil litigation/class actions division. In 2014 and 2018, Philadelphia Magazine selected him as one of the top 100 lawyers in Philadelphia.
He is currently co-lead counsel in multiple significant antitrust class actions across the country and is responsible for winning numerous significant settlements for his clients and classes totaling well over $2 billion. He is currently lead counsel in several antitrust matters in a variety of industries and numerous courts across the country.
Mr. Cramer is also a frequent speaker at antitrust and litigation related conferences. He was the only Plaintiffs’ lawyer selected to serve on the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Section Transition Report Task Force delivered to the incoming Obama Administration in 2012. He is a Senior Fellow and Vice President of the Board of Directors of the American Antitrust Institute; a past President of COSAL (Committee to Support the Antitrust Laws), a leading industry group; a member of the Advisory Board of the Institute of Consumer Antitrust Studies of the Loyola University Chicago School of Law; and a member of the Board of Directors of Public Justice, a national public interest law firm.
He has written widely in the fields of class certification and antitrust law. Among other writings, Mr. Cramer has co-authored Antitrust, Class Certification, and the Politics of Procedure, 17 George Mason Law Review 4 (2010), which the Third Circuit cited in Behrend v. Comcast Corp., 655 F.3d 182, 200, n.10 (3d Cir. 2011), reversed, 133 S. Ct. 1426 (2013). He has also co-written a number of other pieces, including Of Vulnerable Monopolists?: Questionable Innovation in the Standard for Class Certification in Antitrust Cases, 41 Rutgers Law Journal 355 (2009-2010); A Questionable New Standard for Class Certification in Antitrust Cases, published in the ABA’s Antitrust Magazine, Vol. 26, No. 1 (Fall 2011); a Chapter of American Antitrust Institute’s Private International Enforcement Handbook (2010), entitled “Who May Pursue a Private Claim?”; and, a chapter of the American Bar Association’s Pharmaceutical Industry Handbook (July 2009), entitled “Assessing Market Power in the Prescription Pharmaceutical Industry.”
Mr. Cramer is a summa cum laude graduate of Princeton University (1989), where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School with a J.D. in 1993.
- Vice President of the Board and Senior Fellow of the American Antitrust Institute
- Vice President of the Board of Public Justice (Formerly Trial Lawyers for Public Justice)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Institute of Consumer & Antitrust Studies at Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- A frequent speaker at antitrust and pharmaceutical conferences around the country
Business and Community Leadership
Mr. Cramer is active in community affairs, specifically those involving public education:
- Co-founder, and past President of the Board of Trustees of the Independence Charter School, for which he also acted as pro bono litigation counsel
- Member of the Board of the Ayer Condominium Association
- Board Member of the Economy League of Philadelphia
- Former Member of the Board of the Center for Literacy (one of largest non-profit adult literacy organizations in the country)
- Former Chair of the Board of EducationVotersPA, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting issues concerning public education in Pennsylvania
From Judge Michael M. Baylson, of the U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania:
[C]ounsel…for direct plaintiffs have done an outstanding job here representing the class, and I thought your briefing was always very on point. I thought the presentation of the very contentious issues on the class action motion was very well done, it was very well briefed, it was well argued.
Transcript of the June 28, 2018 Hearing in In re Domestic Drywall Antitrust Litigation, No. MD-13-2437 at 11:6 – 11.
Prominent Judgments and Settlements
- In re Domestic Drywall Antitrust Litig., 13-md-2437 (E.D. Pa.) (settled in 2018 for over $190 million)
- Castro, et al. v. Sanofi Pasteur Inc., Civil Action No. 2:11-cv-07178-JMV-MAH (D.N.J.) (settled in 2017 for $61.5 million)
- United States ex rel. Dr. Joseph Piacentile v. Amgen Inc., CA No. 04-2511(E.D.N.Y.) (qui tam matter settled in 2015 for an undisclosed amount)
- Marchbanks Truck Service Inc., et al. v. Comdata Network, Inc. et al., No. 07-1078 (E.D. Pa.) (settled in 2014 for $130 million plus valuable prospective relief)
- In re TriCor Antitrust Litig., No. 02‑1512 (D. Del.) (settled in 2009 for $250 million)
- In re Ovcon 35 Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1747 (D.D.C.) (Settled in 2008 for $22 million)
- In re Terazosin Hydrochloride Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1317 (S.D. Fla. 2005) (settled in 2005 for $74.5 million)
- In re Remeron Antitrust Litig., No.03‑0085 (D.N.J. 2003) (Settled in 2005 for $75 million)
- In re Relafen Antitrust Litig., No. 01-12239-WGY (D. Mass. 2003) (Settled in 2004 for $175 million)
- In re Buspirone Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1410 (S.D.N.Y.) (Settled in 2003 for $220 million)
- In re Cardizem CD Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1278 (E.D. Mich.) (Settled in 2002 for $110 million)
In the News
- Managing Shareholder Eric L. Cramer Named Lawyer of the Year, Six Additional Shareholders Named Best Lawyers
- Long-Running Drywall Price-Fixing Lawsuit Settles for More Than $190 Million
- Berger Montague's Antitrust Practice Group, Notable Practitioners Ranked in the Chambers USA 2018 Guide
- $125 Million Settlement Reached in Drywall Price-Fixing Lawsuit
- Class Certification Granted in Drywall Price-Fixing Case
- Berger Montague Named a Tier 1 Law Firm in The Legal 500—Civil Litigation/Class Actions Division; Chairman Emeritus H. Laddie Montague, Jr. and Managing Shareholder Eric L. Cramer Named “Leading Lawyers”
- Chairman Emeritus H. Laddie Montague, Jr. and Managing Shareholder Eric L. Cramer Inducted to the Inaugural Legal 500 US Hall of Fame
- Berger Montague Managing Shareholder Eric L. Cramer To Speak At The 2017 American Bar Association Section Of Antitrust Spring Meeting
- Berger Montague Managing Shareholder Eric L. Cramer To Speak At The University Of Haifa's International Conference On Dispute Resolution Of Consumer Mass Disputes
- Berger Montague Shareholders Eric L. Cramer and Andrew C. Curley to Speak at Conference on Private Antitrust Enforcement