Patrick F. Madden
Patrick F. Madden is an Associate in the Consumer Protection, Insurance Fraud, and Predatory Lending and Borrowers’ Rights practice groups. His practice principally focuses on consumer class actions concerning financial practices and insurance products.
Mr. Madden has served in key roles in multiple nationwide consumer class actions. For example, he represented homeowners whose mortgage loan servicers force-placed extraordinarily high-priced insurance on them and allegedly received a kickback from the insurer in exchange. Collectively, Mr. Madden’s force-placed insurance settlements have made more than $175 million in recoveries available to class members.
Furthermore, Mr. Madden represents the City of Philadelphia, the City of Miami and the City of Miami Gardens in cases against financial institutions alleging the institutions issued loans to minority borrowers that were higher-priced than those issued to similarly situated white borrowers in violation of the federal Fair Housing Act and causing injuries to those cities.
He is also presently involved in the representation of a proposed class of elite mixed martial arts fighters in an antitrust lawsuit against the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Le, et al. v. Zuffa, LLC, No. 15-cv-1045 (D. Nev.). In addition, Mr. Madden represents a proposed class of direct purchasers of dental supplies and equipment in an antitrust lawsuit against distributors of those products. See Dental Supplies Antitrust Litigation.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Madden worked at the United States Department of Labor, Office of Labor-Management Standards as an investigator during which time he investigated allegations of officer election fraud and financial crimes by union officers and employees.
While at Temple Law School, Mr. Madden was the Executive Editor of Publications for the Temple Journal of Science, Technology & Environmental Law.
Business and Community Leadership
- Lombard Swim Associates, Board of Directors
Prominent Judgments and Settlements
Insurance and Financial Product Actions
- Citibank Force-Placed Insurance Litigation, No. 12-cv-820 (N.D.N.Y.) ($122 million settlement).
- Bank of America Force-Placed Flood Insurance Litigation, No. 11-cv-1372 (D. Or.) ($31 million settlement).
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. Flood Insurance Litigation, No. 12-cv-2179 (N.D. Cal.) ($22.13 million settlement).
Construction Product Actions
- In re CertainTeed Fiber Cement Siding Litigation, No. 11-md-2270 (E.D. Pa.) ($103.9 million settlement).
In the News
- Berger Montague PC Promotes Patrick F. Madden to Shareholder
- City of Philadelphia Files Lawsuit Against Wells Fargo
- Berger Montague Appointed Interim Co-Lead Counsel in UFC Antitrust Class Action
- ARTfully Discriminating
- Piercing the Veil: Using Microfinance Initiatives to Promote Female Entrepreneurship in Muslim Countries