Patrick F. Madden
Patrick F. Madden is a Shareholder in the Antitrust, Consumer Protection, Insurance Fraud, and Predatory Lending and Borrowers’ Rights practice groups. His practice principally focuses on class actions concerning antitrust violations, financial practices, and insurance products.
Mr. Madden has served in key roles in multiple nationwide consumer class actions. For example, he represented homeowners whose mortgage loan servicers force-placed extraordinarily high-priced insurance on them and allegedly received a kickback from the insurer in exchange. Collectively, Mr. Madden’s force-placed insurance settlements have made more than $175 million in recoveries available to class members.
He has also represented plaintiffs in antitrust class actions. For example, Mr. Madden represents a proposed class of elite mixed martial arts fighters in an antitrust lawsuit against the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Le, et al. v. Zuffa, LLC, No. 15-cv-1045 (D. Nev.). Mr. Madden also represents a proposed class of broiler chicken farmers in an antitrust suit against the major chicken processing companies for colluding to suppress compensation to the farmers.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Madden worked at the United States Department of Labor, Office of Labor-Management Standards as an investigator during which time he investigated allegations of officer election fraud and financial crimes by union officers and employees.
While at Temple Law School, Mr. Madden was the Executive Editor of Publications for the Temple Journal of Science, Technology & Environmental Law.
Business and Community Leadership
- Lombard Swim Associates, Board of Directors
Prominent Judgments and Settlements
- In re Dental Supplies Antitrust Litigation, No. 16-cv-696-BMC-GRB (E.D.N.Y.) ($80 million settlement).
Insurance and Financial Product Actions
- Citibank Force-Placed Insurance Litigation, No. 12-cv-820 (N.D.N.Y.) ($122 million settlement).
- Bank of America Force-Placed Flood Insurance Litigation, No. 11-cv-1372 (D. Or.) ($31 million settlement).
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. Flood Insurance Litigation, No. 12-cv-2179 (N.D. Cal.) ($22.13 million settlement).
Construction Product Actions
- In re CertainTeed Fiber Cement Siding Litigation, No. 11-md-2270 (E.D. Pa.) ($103.9 million settlement).
- Cortez v. Nebraska Beef, Inc., Nos. 8:08-cv-90, 8:08-cv-99 (D. Neb.) ($3.9 million settlement).
- Savitskie v. Zenta Mortgage Services, LLC, No. 3:11-CV-129 (W.D.N.C.) ($1 million settlement).
- City of Philadelphia v. Wells Fargo & Co., No. 2:17-cv-02203-AB (E.D. Pa.) ($10 million settlement).