Russell D. Paul
Russell Paul is a Shareholder in the Securities, Consumer Protection, Qui Tam/Whistleblower, Corporate Governance/Shareholder Rights and Commercial Litigation practice groups. He concentrates his practice on securities class actions and derivative suits, complex securities, and commercial litigation matters, False Claims Act suits and consumer class actions.
Mr. Paul has litigated securities class actions against Tyco International Ltd., Baxter Healthcare Corp., ALSTOM S.A., Able Laboratories, Inc., Refco Inc., Toll Brothers and the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae). He has also litigated derivative actions in various state courts around the country, including in the Delaware Court of Chancery. He has litigated consumer protection and product defect actions in the automotive, pet food, soft drink, and home products industries. Mr. Paul has also briefed and argued several federal appeals.
In addition to securities litigation, Mr. Paul has broad corporate law experience, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital financing, proxy contests, and general corporate matters. He began his legal career in the New York office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom.
Mr. Paul has been designated a “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” and a “Top Attorney in Pennsylvania.”
Mr. Paul graduated from the Columbia University School of Law (J.D. 1989) where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, served on the Moot Court Review Board, was an editor of Pegasus (the law school’s catalog) and interned at the United States Attorneys’ Office for the Southern District of New York. He completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Pennsylvania, earning a B.S. in Economics from the Wharton School (1986) and a B.A. in History from the College of Arts and Sciences (1986). He was elected to the Beta Gamma Sigma Honors Society.
Business and Community Leadership
- Board Member, Ceasefire PA, to reduce gun violence in Pennsylvania
- Board Member, Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society
- Board Member, Jewish Exponent
- Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia, Board of Trustees
- Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia, Israel Advocacy Committee
- Perelman Jewish Day School, Strategic Engagement Committee
The Wall Street Journal, “Pet-Food Companies Settle Lawsuit,” May 24, 2008.
Prominent Judgments and Settlements
- In re Tyco International Securities Litigation ($3 billion)
- In re Tremont Securities Law, State Law, and Insurance Litigation ($100 million)
- In re Sepracor Inc. Securities Litigation ($52.5 million)
- In re Sprint Corporation Shareholder Litigation ($57.5 million)
- In re Parmalat Securities Litigation ($90 million)
- In re Pet Food Product Liability Litigation ($32 million)
- The City of Hialeah Employees’ Retirement System et al. v. Toll Brothers Inc. ($25 million)
- CALPERS v. LoneStar Steak House (derivative action settlement)
- Litigation re: PICO tax shelter (confidential settlement)
- Simmens v. The Coca-Cola Company, et al. (consumer product – confidential settlement)
- Red Robin Gourmet Burgers Securities Litigation ($1.5 million)
- In re Able Laboratories Securities Litigation ($9.15 million)