Andrew C. Curley is a Shareholder in the Antitrust practice group. He concentrates his practice in the area of complex antitrust litigation.
Mr. Curley served as Co-Lead Class Counsel on behalf of a class of independent truck stops and other retail merchants in Marchbanks Truck Service, Inc. v. Comdata Network, Inc., Case No. 07-1078 (E.D. Pa.). The Marchbanks litigation settled in January 2014 for $130 million and significant prospective relief in the form of, among other things, meaningful and enforceable commitments by the largest over-the-road trucker fleet card issuer in the United States to modify or not to enforce those portions of its merchant services agreements that plaintiffs challenged as anticompetitive, and that an expert economist has determined to be worth an additional $260 million to $491 million (bringing the total value of the settlement to between $390 and $621 million).
Mr. Curley is also involved in a number of antitrust cases representing direct purchasers of prescription drugs. These cases have alleged that pharmaceutical manufacturers have wrongfully kept less expensive generic drugs off the market, in violation of the antitrust laws. Those cases include: In re Solodyn Antitrust Litig., 14 MD 2503 (D. Mass.) ($76 million settlements); and In re Aggrenox Antitrust Litig., No. 3:14-md-02516 (D. Conn.) ($146 million settlement); In re Skelaxin (Metaxalone) Antitrust Litig., No. 12-MD-2343 (E.D. Tenn.) ($73 million settlement); In re Wellbutrin XL Antitrust Litig., No. 08-2431 (E.D. Pa.) ($37.5 million settlement with one of two defendants); In re Opana ER Antitrust Litig., No. 14-cv-10150 (N.D. Ill.) and In re Niaspan Antitrust Litig., No. 12-MD-2460 (E.D. Pa.).
Prior to joining Berger Montague, Mr. Curley practiced in the litigation department of a large Philadelphia law firm where he represented clients in a variety of industries in complex commercial litigation in both state and federal court.
Honors & Awards:
- Named a Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer (2019 – 2020).
- From 2018 – 2020, Mr. Curley was named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer. The designation of “Super Lawyer” is an honor conferred upon only the top 5% of attorneys in Pennsylvania.
- From 2010 – 2017, Mr. Curley was named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer – Rising Star. The designation of “Rising Star” is an honor conferred upon only the top 2.5% of attorneys in Pennsylvania who are 40 or younger.
- 2014 American Antitrust Institute Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement by a Young Lawyer Finalist for Marchbanks Truck Service Inc., et al. v. Comdata Network, Inc., et al.
- Member – Pennsylvania Bar
- Admitted – Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Admitted – Third Circuit Court of Appeals