Since joining the Firm in 2006, Mr. Polakoff has concentrated his practice on the prosecution of class actions and other complex litigation, including the representation of plaintiffs in consumer protection, securities, antitrust, and commercial cases.
Mr. Polakoff currently represents homeowners throughout the country in various product liability actions concerning defective construction products, including plumbing and roofing. He served on the teams of co-lead counsel in two nationwide class action plumbing lawsuits: (i) against NIBCO, Inc., claiming that NIBCO’s cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) plumbing tubes and component parts were defective and prematurely failed ($43.5 million settlement), and (ii) in George v. Uponor, Inc., et al., a class action about Uponor’s high zinc yellow brass PEX plumbing fittings ($21 million settlement).
He represented the shareholders of the Philadelphia Stock Exchange in Ginsburg v. Philadelphia Stock Exchange, Inc., et al., in the Delaware Court of Chancery, which settled for in excess of $99 million in addition to significant corporate governance provisions. He was also part of the Berger Montague teams that secured substantial settlements for shareholders in other securities actions, including NECA-IBEW Pension Trust Fund (The Decatur Plan), et al. v. Precision Castparts Corp., et al. ($21 million settlement) and In re Patriot Nat’l, Inc. Sec. Litig. ($6.5 million settlement with the bankruptcy company’s directors and officers).
Mr. Polakoff’s experience also includes representing entrepreneurs and small businesses in actions against Fortune 500 companies.
Mr. Polakoff was selected as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in 2021-2023, an honor conferred upon only the top 5% of attorneys in Pennsylvania. He was previously selected as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer – Rising Star in 2010 and 2013-2019.
Mr. Polakoff is a 2006 graduate of the joint J.D./M.B.A. program at the University of Miami, where he was the recipient of the Dean’s Certificate of Achievement in Legal Research & Writing, was awarded a Graduate Assistantship and was honored with the Award for Academic Excellence in Graduate Studies.
He holds a 2002 B.S.B.A. from Boston University’s School of Management, where he concentrated in finance.
Mr. Polakoff was, until recently, the Judge of Election for Philadelphia’s 30th Ward, 1st Division. He was also a member of the planning committee and the sponsorship sub-committee for the Justice for All 5K from its inception. The event benefited Community Legal Services of Philadelphia, which provides free legal services, in civil matters, to low-income Philadelphians.
Business and Community Leadership
- Member of the Planning Committee for the Justice for All 5K, benefiting Community Legal Services of Philadelphia, 2010-2014.
- Judge of Election for Philadelphia’s 30th Ward, 1st Division.
Prominent Judgments and Settlements
- Ginsburg v. Philadelphia Stock Exchange ($99 million settlement)
- Cole, et al. v. NIBCO Inc. and Meadow, et al. v. NIBCO Inc. ($43.5 million settlement)
- George v. Uponor, Inc., et al. ($21 million settlement)
- In re Patriot National, Inc. Securities Litigation ($6.5 million settlement)
Honors & Awards
- 2021-2022 Pennsylvania Super Lawyer
- 2010, 2013-2019 Pennsylvania Super Lawyer – Rising Star
- Member – Pennsylvania Bar
- Member – New Jersey Bar
- Admitted – Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Admitted – District of New Jersey
- Admitted – Western District of New York
- Admitted – District of Colorado
- Admitted – United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Admitted- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Admitted – United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Admitted – United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit