Janet Varnell is Of Counsel at the Firm. She has spent her career fighting on behalf of consumers, workers, and businesses. Ms. Varnell is the current Vice President and future President of Public Justice Foundation, a nonprofit legal advocacy organization dedicated to ensuring equal access to justice for all. She is also on the Partners Council of the National Consumer Law Center in Washington, D.C., one of the nation’s leading consumer advocacy organizations.
Ms. Varnell has earned a national reputation as a champion and defender of consumer rights, having been recognized as the 2019 Consumer Protection Lawyer of the Year from the Florida Bar, the 2018 Trial Lawyer of the Year from the Public Justice Foundation, and the 2009 “Consumer Advocate of the Year” by Consumer National Association of Consumer Advocates. For the past 25 years, Ms. Varnell has focused on appellate work as well as consumer protection, wage and hour, product liability, antitrust, civil rights, securities fraud, and environmental litigation. She has been appointed as lead or co-lead counsel in more than sixty class actions certified in federal or state courts across the nation that have, collectively, resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars for her clients and the class members they have represented.
Business and Community Leadership
- Board of Directors, Public Justice
- Partner’s Council – National Consumer Law Center, Washington D.C.
- Co-Chairman, National Association of Consumer Advocates, 2008
- Chairman of the Florida Bar Consumer Protection Law Committee, 2010-2011
- Florida Bar Grievance Committee Member and Approved Mediator
- U.S. Army Achievement Medals
- U.S. Army Commendation Medal
Honors & Awards
- “Consumer Protection Lawyer” of the Year by the Florida Bar, 2019
- “Trial Lawyer of the Year” by the Public Justice Foundation, 2018
- “Consumer Advocate of the Year” by the National Association of Consumer Advocates (NACA), 2009