Michael T. Fantini
Michael T. Fantini is a shareholder in the Consumer Protection and Commercial Litigation practice groups with Berger & Montague. Mr. Fantini concentrates his practice on consumer class action litigation.
Mr. Fantini has considerable experience in notable consumer cases such as: In re TJX Companies Retail Security Breach Litigation, Master Docket No. 07-10162 (D. Mass) (class action brought on behalf of persons whose personal and financial data were compromised in the largest computer theft of personal data in history – settled for various benefits valued at over $200 million); In re Educational Testing Service Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grade 7-12 Litigation, MDL No. 1643 (E.D. La. 2006) (settlement of $11.1 million on behalf of persons who were incorrectly scored on a teachers’ licensing exam); Block v. McDonald’s Corporation, No: 01CH9137 (Cir. Ct. Of Cook County, Ill.) (settlement of $12.5 million where McDonald’s failed to disclose beef fat in french fries); Fitz, Inc. v. Ralph Wilson Plastics Co., No. 1-94-CV-06017 (D. N.J.) (claims-made settlement whereby fabricators fully recovered their losses resulting from defective contact adhesives); Parker v. American Isuzu Motors, Inc.; No: 3476 (CCP, Philadelphia County) (claims-made settlement whereby class members recovered $500 each for their economic damages caused by faulty brakes); Crawford v. Philadelphia Hotel Operating Co., No: 04030070 (CCP Phila. Cty. 2005) (claims-made settlement whereby persons with food poisoning recovered $1,500 each); Melfi v. The Coca-Cola Company (settlement reached in case involving alleged misleading advertising of Enviga drink); Vaughn v. L.A. Fitness International LLC, No. 10-cv-2326 (E.D. Pa.) (claims made settlement in class action relating to failure to cancel gym memberships and improper billing); In re Chickie’s & Pete’s Wage and Hour Litigation, Master File No. 12-cv-6820 (E.D. Pa.) (settled class action relating to failure to pay proper wage and overtime under FLSA).
Notable security fraud cases in which Mr. Fantini was principally involved include: In re PSINet Securities Litigation, No: 00-1850-A (E.D. Va.) (settlement in excess of $17 million); Ahearn v. Credit Suisse First Boston, LLC, No: 03-10956 (D. Mass.) (settlement of $8 million); and In re Nesco Securities Litigation, 4:0l-CV-0827 (N.D. Okla.).
Mr. Fantini has represented the City of Chicago in an action against certain online travel companies, such as Expedia, Hotels.com, and others, for their alleged failure to pay hotel taxes. He also represented the City of Philadelphia in a similar matter.
Prior to joining Berger & Montague, Mr. Fantini was a litigation associate with Dechert LLP. At George Washington University Law School, he was a member of the Moot Court Board. In 2017 and 2018, Mr. Fantini was named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters.
Prominent Judgements and Settlements
- In re Education Testing Service Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grade 7-12 Litigation, MDL No. 1643 (E.D. La. 2006) ($11.1 million settlement)
- Block v. McDonald’s Corporation, No: 01CH9137 (Ill. Cir. Ct., Cook County) ($12.5 million settlement)
- Fitz, Inc. v. Ralph Wilson Plastics Co., No. 1-94-CV-0601 7 (D.N.J.)
- Parker v. American Isuzu Motors, Inc., No. 3476 (Pa. Ct. Comm. Pl., Philadelphia County) (class members recovered $500 each for economic damages)
- Crawford v. Philadelphia Hotel Operating Co., No. 07-10162 (D. Mass.) (Settled for benefits valued at over $200 million)
- In re Heartland Payment Systems (pending security breach case)
- Countrywide Financial Corp. Customer Data Security Breach Litigation (pending security breach case)
- In re PSINet Securities Litigation, No. 00-1850-A (E.D. Va.) ($17 million settlement)
- Ahearn v. Credit Suisse First Boston, LLC, No. 03-10956 (D. Mass.) ($8 million settlement)
- In re Nesco Securities Litigation, 4:01-CV-0827 (N.D. Okla.)