Have you been denied a mortgage, an auto loan, credit card, rental, insurance, or government benefit because of information that does not belong to you in your credit report? You might be a victim of what is called a “mixed credit report.” This is a common problem where the credit reporting company mixes up information belonging to someone else and shows their information on your credit report. Mixed credit reports can cause unnecessary turmoil and stress in your life.

If Someone Else’s Data Ruined Your Credit, We Can Help!

Credit Report Lawyers Are Your Key to a Full Recovery

If you’re suddenly researching “what to do when there’s someone else’s name on my credit report,” you’re in the right place. Berger Montague, a nationwide consumer protection law firm with over 50 years of experience, has seen and handled every scenario imaginable with mixed credit reports. We’ve helped thousands recover their financial health and reputation.

What is a Mixed Credit Report?

A mixed credit report mistakenly contains information from more than one person. Three major companies (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) dominate the credit reporting industry. These agencies collect data from various sources, including credit card companies, banks, lenders, and other third-party data gatherers. The data handling process is largely automated. Unfortunately, these companies often make errors when compiling reports, such as mistakenly adding information to someone else’s report due to similar names, birthdates, or other similarities.

This mix-up can negatively impact your credit score and creditworthiness, especially if the other person has a large amount of debt, is in default on their payments, or has filed bankruptcy. Many significant life decisions hinge on your credit report, making such errors particularly damaging. You can schedule a free consultation with Berger Montague using the form on this page.

Can I Remove Incorrect Information From My Credit Report?

Yes. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) protects your right to accurate credit reporting. Companies are required to use maximum possible accuracy when compiling reports, and to investigate and correct errors. Working with a credit report lawyer increases your chances of success in recovering damages for any harm inaccurate information in your credit report caused you and in removing incorrect data.

How a Lawyer Can Help?

Consumer protection lawyers fight to fix mixed credit profiles, get you compensation, and restore your financial health. They know the laws, the dispute process, and how to navigate the complexities of consumer data regulations. Here’s how they can help:

  • Legal Advice and Guidance: Determining if you may be eligible to seek compensation, identifying which company may be liable for the inaccurate information in your report, and disputing mixed data requires skill and can be exhausting and stressful. An expert lawyer will help you navigate these challenges efficiently and effectively.
  • Filing a Lawsuit: If you have been damaged by inaccurate information or the credit reporting agency CRA fails to correct errors, a lawsuit is often necessary. Your lawyer will represent you throughout the process of a lawsuit.
  • Negotiating a Settlement: Experienced lawyers know how to optimize your chances to get compensation and obtain a successful outcome .

What You Need to Know Before Contacting a Lawyer

Before contacting a consumer protection lawyer, you should know why the lender has rejected your credit application and whether the data in your credit report is inaccurate. You have the right to receive a copy of your credit report from the lender for free and to know the details of the adverse decision.

How Much Does a Lawyer Cost?

At Berger Montague, you won’t owe us any money out-of-pocket from the first phone call to the end of the lawsuit. We don’t get paid unless we secure compensation for you, so contact us to discuss your case.

Compensation for Mixed Credit Report Lawsuits

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), you can sue for compensation for actual harm (financial or emotional) and punitive damages, which punish the wrongdoer for their bad conduct. You may also receive punitive damages and have your attorneys’ fees paid for. 

Credit Report Errors FAQs

What are the most common credit report errors?
Common credit report errors include incorrect personal information, accounts that don’t belong to you, closed accounts reported as open, inaccurately reporting you as deceased or dead, and incorrect account balances.

How do errors occur in credit reports?
The companies processing and reporting consumer data do so through automated processes. Unfortunately, these companies often do not have back up systems in place to review reports before they go to third parties. The data can get mixed up due to similar names, birthdates, or other similarities.

When should I contact an attorney?
If you have been denied a home mortgage, car loan, credit card, insurance, or government benefit because of information that does not belong to you in your credit report, you should consult with an attorney immediately to best preserve your rights. Working with a lawyer will help you to recover damages for any harm inaccurate information in your credit report has caused you and to correct incorrect data.

What does OFAC mean on a credit report?
OFAC refers to the Office of Foreign Assets Control, a government office that enforces economic and trade sanctions. To do this, OFAC created a list that is often referred to as the “OFAC list.” This list includes mostly foreign terrorists, narcotics traffickers, and other “bad guys” that U.S. companies cannot do business with. If there is an OFAC alert or flag on your credit report, it indicates that the credit report company has identified you as a potential match for the watchlist.

How do I find inaccuracies on my credit report?
To find inaccuracies on your credit report, carefully review your credit reports from all three major credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax), and compare the information against your records. There are some common types of errors that occur. You can get free copies of your credit report, that do not impact your credit score, at

What should I do if my credit report has the wrong date of birth?
If your credit report has the wrong date of birth, you can dispute the error directly with the credit bureau that issued the report by certified U.S. mail. You should identify the error and provide proof of your correct date of birth.

What should I do if the wrong name appears on my credit report?
If the wrong name appears on your credit report and is associated with information that is hurting your credit profile (such as late payments, large debts, or accounts that don’t belong to you), you should contact an attorney to help evaluate your options and efficiently guide you through the dispute process. You can also dispute the error directly with the credit bureau that issued the report by certified U.S. mail.

Do all major credit cards report to all 3 credit bureaus?
Not all major credit cards report to all three credit bureaus; some may report to only one or two. You can check with the card issuer to confirm their reporting practices.

Get Started Today!

If you’re struggling with a mixed credit report, don’t wait. Contact Berger Montague now for a free consultation and let our experienced lawyers help you restore your financial health and peace of mind. Get the justice and compensation you deserve.

schedule a free consultation

"*" indicates required fields

By clicking SUBMIT you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and you are providing express consent to receive communications from Berger Montague via calls, emails, and/or text messages.

On the Cutting Edge of the Profession

Legal Intelligencer