John Albanese is an Associate in the Minneapolis office. Mr. Albanese concentrates his practice on consumer protection with a focus on Fair Credit Reporting Act violations related to criminal background checks. Mr. Albanese has also prosecuted class actions related to illegal online lending, unfair debt collection, privacy breaches, and other consumer law issues. Mr. Albanese is regularly invited to speak on consumer law and litigation issues. Mr. Albanese has obtained favorable decisions for consumers in state and federal courts all over the country. He also frequently represents consumer advocacy groups as amici curiae at the appellate level.
Mr. Albanese is a graduate of Columbia Law School and Georgetown University. At Columbia, he was a managing editor of the Columbia Law Review and was elected to speak at graduation by his classmates. Mr. Albanese clerked for Magistrate Judge Geraldine Brown in the Northern District of Illinois.
Business and Community Leadership
- “Ready, Set, Go!” 2019 NACA Fair Credit Reporting Act Conference, Long Beach, CA, May 2019
- “Recent Trends and Hot Topics in FCRA Litigation,” Presenter, Minnesota CLE, Minneapolis, MN, January 2019
- “Practical Implications Post-Spokeo,” Class Action Symposium, Consumer Rights Litigation Conference, National Consumer Law Center, Denver, CO, October 2018.
- “Article III Standing in a Post-Spokeo World,” Consumer Rights Litigation Conference, National Consumer Law Center, Denver, CO, October 2018.
- “Obsolescence Claims and Background Checks,” Consumer Rights Litigation Conference, National Consumer Law Center, Denver, CO, October 2018.
- “FCRA Litigation Development: Spokeo Update,” Consumer Rights Litigation Conference, National Consumer Law Center, Washington, D.C., November 2017
- “Proving Willfulness”, 2017 NACA Fair Credit Reporting Act Conference, Baltimore, MD, April 2017
- “Spokeo in FDCPA and TCPA Cases,” Presenter, Fair Debt Collection Practices Conference, Sheraton Hotel New Orleans, New Orleans, LA, March 2017
In the News
- Three Berger Montague Attorneys Named 2020 Minnesota Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Three Berger Montague Attorneys Named 2019 Minnesota Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Aetna to Provide Emergency Relief to Members Affected by HIV/AIDS Privacy Breach
- Judge Allows Case to Proceed in MoneyMutual Payday Loans Lawsuit
- Associate John Albanese to Speak at the Fair Debt Collection Practices Conference
- Berger Montague Opens Minneapolis Office and Hires Attorney E. Michelle Drake