Michael C. Dell'Angelo
Michael Dell’Angelo is a Managing Shareholder in the Antitrust, Commercial Litigation, Commodities & Financial Instruments practice groups, and Co- Chair of the Securities department. He serves as co-lead counsel in a variety of complex antitrust cases, including Le, et al. v. Zuffa, LLC, No. 15-1045 (D. Nev.) (alleging the Ultimate Fighting Championship (“UFC”) obtained illegal monopoly power of the market for Mixed Martial Arts promotions and suppressed the compensation of MMA fighters).
Mr. Dell’Angelo is responsible for winning numerous significant settlements for his clients and class members. Most recently, as co-lead counsel, Mr. Dell’Angelo recently helped to reach settlements totaling more than $190 million in the multidistrict litigation In re Domestic Drywall Antitrust Litig., No. 13-md-2437 (E.D. Pa.). There, in granting final approval to the last settlement, the court observed about Mr. Dell’Angelo and his colleagues that “Plaintiffs’ counsel are experienced antitrust lawyers who have been working in this field of law for many years and have brought with them a sophisticated and highly professional approach to gathering persuasive evidence on the topic of price-fixing.” In re Domestic Drywall Antitrust Litig., No. 13-md-2437, 2018 WL 3439454, at *18 (E.D. Pa. July 17, 2018). “[I]t bears repeating,” the court emphasized, “that the result attained is directly attributable to having highly skilled and experienced lawyers represent the class in these cases.” Id.
Mr. Dell’Angelo also serves as co-lead counsel or class counsel in numerous cases alleging price-fixing or other wrongdoing affecting a variety of financial instruments, including In re Commodity Exchange, Inc., Gold Futures and Options Trading Litig., 1:14-MD-2548-VEC (S.D.N.Y); In re Platinum and Palladium Antitrust Litig., No. 14-cv-09391-GHW (S.D.N.Y.); Contant, et al. v. Bank of America Corp., et al., 1:17-cv-03139-LGS (S.D.N.Y.); In re Libor-Based Financial Instruments Antitrust Litig., No. 11-md-2262 (S.D.N.Y.); Alaska Elec. Pension Fund, et al. v. Bank of Am. Corp., et al., No. 14 Civ. 7126-JMF (S.D.N.Y.); In re Crude Oil Commodity Futures Litig., No. 11-cv-3600 (S.D.N.Y.); and In re London Silver Fixing, Ltd. Antitrust Litig., No. 14-md-2573 (S.D.N.Y.).
The National Law Journal recently featured Mr. Dell’Angelo in its profile of Berger Montague for a special annual report entitled “Plaintiffs’ Hot List.” The National Law Journal’s Hot List identifies the top plaintiff practices in the country. The Hot List profile focused on Mr. Dell’Angelo’s role in the MF Global litigation (In re MF Global Holding Ltd. Inv. Litig., No. 12-MD-2338-VM (S.D.N.Y.)). In MF Global, Mr. Dell’Angelo represented former commodity account holders seeking to recover approximately $1.6 billion of secured customer funds after the highly publicized collapse of MF Global, a major commodities brokerage. At the outset of this high-risk litigation, the odds appeared grim: MF Global had declared bankruptcy, leaving the corporate officers, a bank, and a commodity exchange as the only prospect for the recovery of class’s misappropriated funds. Nonetheless, four years later, a result few would have believed possible was achieved. Through a series of settlements, the former commodity account holders recovered more than 100 percent of their missing funds, totaling over $1.6 billion.
Mr. Dell’Angelo has been recognized consistently as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, a distinction conferred upon him annually since 2007. He is regularly invited to speak at Continuing Legal Education (CLE) and other seminars and conferences, both locally and abroad. In response to his recent CLE, “How to Deal with the Rambo Litigator,” Mr. Dell’Angelo was singled out as “One of the best CLE speakers [attendees] have had the pleasure to see.”
- June 20-21, 2019 (Upcoming) – Evaluating 2015 Rule 26 Discovery-Proportionality Amendments and Bolch-Duke Guidelines and Best Practices, Duke Law, Washington, D.C
- March 29, 2019 – Class Actions in the Financial Sector, Banks and Data Protection, 3rd International Conference on Dispute Resolution of Consumer Disputes, Haifa, Israel
- June 19-20, 2018 – Convening on Summary Judgement and Dispositive Motions, IAALS, Denver, CO
- December 8, 2017 – Bench-Bar Experiences with the 2015 Discovery Proportionality Amendments, Duke Law, San Francisco, CA
- November 9-10, 2017 – Summary Judgement Convening, IAALS, Colorado Springs, CO
- December 10, 2015 – Pepper Hamilton Annual Antitrust Developments Update CLE Event, Pepper Hamilton LLP, Philadelphia, PA
- November 13-14, 2014 – Implementing Discovery Proportionality Standard Conference, Duke Law, Washington, D.C
- November 7, 2014 – Negotiating Antitrust Disputes for Small-to-Medium Sized Businesses, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- February 1, 2013 – Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal with the Rambo Litigator, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- October 21, 2011 – Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal with the Rambo Litigator, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- July 7, 2011 – Jumping Witness Examination Hurdles, National Business Institute, National Teleconference
- October 28, 2010 – Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal with the Rambo Litigator, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- March 19, 2009 – The Art of Settlement, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- March 19, 2008 – Identifying and Preventing Securities Fraud, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- March 28, 2007 – The Art of Settlement, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- November 28, 2006 – Class Action Update: Today’s Trends & Strategies for Success, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- June 22, 2005 – A Critical Update on the Class Action Fairness Act in Pennsylvania, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- March 10, 2005 – Litigating the Class Action in Pennsylvania, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- June 24, 2004 – Fundamentals of Antitrust Law: Horizontal and Vertical Restraints, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- October 10, 2003 – Current Issues in Retaining and Using Experts, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- October 9, 2003 – Litigating the Class Action in Pennsylvania, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA
Business and Community Leadership
- Director, St. Martins’ Train Station Committee
From Timothy C. Batten of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, when granting final approval of the class action settlement in In re NetBank, Inc. Securities Litigation, C.A. No. 07-CV-2298-TCB (N.D. Ga.):
“It’s hard to imagine a class action being litigated more appropriately, forcefully, hard fought.” “[T]he right word for the conduct and performance of the lawyers … in this case would be exemplary.”
From Philip M. Pro of the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada when awarding counsel’s fee in Brown v. Kinross, C.A. No. 02-605 (D.NV.):
“I commend all of you for the work that you’ve put into it….all of you have done an excellent job and it has been a pleasure to have you in front of me.”
In the News
- Berger Montague Investigates Claims on Behalf of Investors in TCA Global Credit Master Fund
- Berger Montague Investigates Securities Fraud Class Action Claims Against Baozun Inc. (NASDAQ: BZUN)
- Berger Montague Files Class Action Lawsuit Against Chicago Title on Behalf of Investors in Champion-Cain/ANI Liquor License Lending Ponzi Scheme
- Smile Direct Club Lawsuit: Berger Montague Investigates Class Action Claims Against SmileDirectClub, Inc. (NASDAQ: SDC)
- CVET Stock Alert: Berger Montague Investigates Class Action Claims Against Covetrus, Inc. (NASDAQ: CVET)
- Waitr Stock Alert: Berger Montague Investigates Class Action Claims Against Waitr Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: WTRH)
- Berger Montague Appoints Savett, Dell’Angelo, and Galdston to Co-Chair Its Securities & Investor Protection Group
- UPDATED INVESTIGATION NOTICE – Berger Montague Expands Its Investigation Into Gina Champion-Cain; ANI Development, LLC; and American National Investments, Inc.
- Investor Fraud Alert – Berger Montague Investigates Alleged Investment Sham by Gina Champion-Cain; ANI Development, LLC; and American National Investments, Inc.
- Investor Fraud Alert – Berger Montague Investigates Ponzi Scheme by Investment Advisor Brenda A. Smith and Broad Reach Capital, LP; Broad Reach Partners, LLC; and Bristol Advisors, LLC